Movies have always served as both entertainment and distraction. They can stir up a range of emotion, from anger and sadness to happiness and hope. When life is difficult, emotionally, and physically a good movie choice can make your day – punk! I remember watching the Matrix on a Friday night, having just rented it from Blockbuster Video. I sat down with my teenage kids and said, I’m probably going to fall asleep, as it had been a long, tough week and I was exhausted. 15 minutes into the movie, I was completely riveted! When it finished and the credits were rolling, I was full of philosophical inspiration and charged with energy. We talked excitedly for hours after the movie. It was fun having them share their thoughts about what is the nature of reality, and the prisms we view the world through.
Below is a list of movie choices that gave me hope and started great conversations, or simply let me lose myself in the movie:
- Remember the Titans – History lesson and hope.
- Trolls – Yes, the original Trolls – great movie to watch with children and discuss choices – we can choose how to feel! Happiness and compassion rule the day.
- The Princess Bride – My favorite quote is, “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die!” Perseverance and good triumphing over evil. Boasts multiple great actors!
- Sister Act – So fun to watch a young Whoopi Goldberg’s charisma as she helps catch the bad guys, sings her heart out with nuns, all while finding new ways for Whoopi and the nuns to positively affect the neighborhood.
- Field of Dreams – A movie about believing the impossible, love, forgiveness and redemption.
- Legally Blonde – Elle Woods bring us her unconditional joy and teaches us that we can do anything.
- Aladdin 1992 or 2019 – Great movies to watch with kids. Survival, friendship, honesty, trust and overcoming bad circumstances.
- Just Mercy – Based on the true story of attorney Bryan Stevenson, who works to free wrongly convicted individuals. Its good to know that people like Brian and the rest of the Equal Justice Initiative team are out their fighting for good, fighting for people that others have given up on.
…movies cannot only transform our moods; they can transform how we look at the world.
Currently Streaming Movies:
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding – Toula our Greek Canadian heroine decides to change her life and lives happily ever after! Amazon Prime
- Die Hard – An adventure movie that we can get lost in. I love that Bruce Willis’ swagger! Amazon Prime
- Spaceballs – Mel Brooks at his finest. This movie is a good example of a movie that helps us to laugh, feel silly and allows us to create happy memories with our kids, friends, or siblings. Amazon Prime
- Home Again – A genuinely sweet movie about starting over and living compassionately. It made my heart happy. Netflix
- McFarland, USA – Based on a true story of a cross country team that went from nonexistent to state champions. Amazon Prime, Disney+
Movies cannot only transform our moods; they can transform how we look at the world. The best movies help us to feel our feelings, veg out and can often transport us out of our life for a couple of hours. Pull up a comfortable chair, or better yet sit up in bed, with great snacks and enjoy the show!