Living in the same house after a breakup can be full of memories and not quite feel like the fresh start you want. Think about a quick refresh for your bedroom – the place that probably holds may of the intimate relationship memories. This is your chance to decorate the room for your tastes, your comfort, color, and tones. Create a room that makes you happy.
1. Utility – How will you use the room?
Now that you’re on your own you deserve a bedroom that reflects your tastes, and creates a space for you and you alone. Think about how you will use the room. Here are some ways you might use your room with some suggestions to enhance the experience.
…because your happiness level is influenced by your surroundings, I urge you to make some room in your budget to give yourself this support.
- Sleep – light blocking shades
- Watch TV – position TV correctly for viewing comfortably with no neck crane, able to read captions etc.
- Reading – ensure that you have the light you need to not strain your eyes
- Consider lights attached to the headboard if you like to read in bed
- Writing in a journal or daily gratitude’s – will you need a desk or a lap desk for your bed
- What’s practical for you?
- Meditation – While meditation can be done anywhere, you want to be comfortable. Soft lights, low background instrumental music, and no interruptions. Consider how to easily turn down the lights (dimmer) or use special lighting like twinkle lights. If you share the house with others, you may want to consider a lock on the door.
- Exercise, Practicing Tai-Chi or Yoga will require space, either as part of the set up of the room, or easy to quickly set up and put away. You’ll want to be able to store match, block, or cushions when you are finished.
2. What’s your budget?
Sadly, we all have a budget. Because your happiness level is influenced by your surroundings, I urge you to make some room in your budget to give yourself this support. One of the cheapest room refreshes is painting the room – DYI. Read more here for more information about room color and its effect on your mood.
Other ways to save money include:
- A quick pop of color to match the new paint, or using a complimentary color can be found by using or updating throw pillows accents, or make your own new covers.
- I love to find artwork, used furniture, mirrors, lamps and other décor at garage sales, consignment shops and thrift stores. You may also find clothing in bright colors and fabrics that can be reutilized as throw pillow covers, recovering a chair seat, or even using as table runner on a dresser or chest.
- Repurposing furniture in other rooms or painting older tables and chairs, can give them new life and make a big impact in your new bedroom.
- Give your friends and family a concrete way to help you get on with your life. Consider using our gift registry to get help in setting up your new life.
3. Consider Plants and Candles
Nothing adds to the atmosphere of a room quite like plants. Living, growing plants can increase the quality of indoor air. It also brings nature to you. Nature is healing.
Candles add calming scents. The flickering lights soothe and relax. One of my favorite rituals when I am cleaning house, is to light a candle, or candles in each room as I finish cleaning it. When I’m done the whole house feels and smell fresh and clean. It’s a reward for getting it done. I can then sit and read, listen to music and dance or meditate for a few minutes. Each time it makes me joyful and refreshes not only my house, but me. My favorite scent for a “clean” smell is Eucalyptus Mint. For a restful relaxing scent, I like Lavender. Candles can be found anywhere these days. Do some research and find the scents that mean something to you.
Refreshing your room doesn’t have to be all at one time. You can create a plan and do a piece at a time. There is nothing like a room that reflects your taste, has been created by you and supports your positive moods. You might want to have a get together with close friends and ask them to help you with the project. Play music you all love, share a pizza together and in doing so, bring your positive, loving, group vibe to fill and reclaim your bedroom for the future ahead. Step by step you will rebuild a life full of joy that you design, just for you.