If you are thinking of splitting or have already split, use this checklist to track important documents you will need to gather and/or copy.
- Bank account information and statements
- Brokerage statements
- Business documents (if you own or co-own a business)
- Car registrations (and loan statements if you are financing)
- Credit card statements
- Deeds to real estate
- Financial statements
- Insurance inventories
- If you don’t have an insurance inventory of property, look at your home and what is in it and create a new one.
- Consider: who owns what?
- Consider: making a list with your, mine and ours (joint) columns.
- Loan applications (including pending loan applications) and documents
- Stocks (and other investments)
- Tax-assessed valuations and/or real estate appraisals
- Tax returns for the past three years if you have been filing jointly
- Year-to-date pay stubs
- Other (write-in): _______________________________________________________________
- Be sure to copy records that can trace and verify separately owned property, such as an inheritance or family gifts.
- Try to gather at least 3 years’ worth of documents but check what your state might require.
- If you are thinking about splitting, start tracking your income and spending for a couple of months to see what you have coming in and going out on a regular basis
If you have already split it may be hard to gather the above documents and information. Do the best you can if it is relevant to your divorce or split, particularly if assets were owned jointly or you were together for many years.
Also keep in mind everyday items that you will need to change or update once you split:
- Address with the post office
- Account holder for household utilities
- Automatic payment information for car payments, mortgage, deposits, credit cards
- Beneficiary on your life insurance policy
- Car insurance
- Children’s school records
- Internet passwords
- Joint email accounts
- Voice mail greeting and access
- Other (write-in): ________________________________________________________